- By having two or more cats, you are able to enjoy the true social nature of cats and their relationship with each other.
- Cats who have a playmate tend to be more socially well-adjusted and avoid behavior problems like shyness, biting, hissing, being frightened and hiding in the company of people they don't know.
- Cats need stimulation during the day like humans. Studies have shown that some animals left alone most of the day in the house have brains that weigh up to 25% less than those that live in the street.
- In Switzerland, an anti-cruelty law was passed that requires people who are buying/adopting dogs and cats to acquire two instead of one since it is the nature of an animal to have company of his/her own kind.
- They are less likely to ruin furniture out of boredom.
- If you must work long hours or travel for a couple of days, two or more cats keep each other company and are more tranquil during your absence.
- Its more likely that people bring back an adopted cat due to behavior problems when only one has been adopted rather than two.
- Your cat will remain more playful and youthful into his/her later years with a companion.
- Cats are much less likely to gain weight due to lack of movement, and to suffer related illnesses.
- The workload to care for two cats remains relatively the same.
- You don't need more space for a second cat!
- Because....Two Are Better Than One!!
Reprinted from the Torre Argentina Cat Sanctuary and Doing Things for Animals.